During pregnancy is a great time to start preparing to be a parent. In many ways, pregnancy is all about planning ahead. One of the areas you’ll want to make sure to plan ahead is in the area of diapering. If you want to make your baby’s first weeks as smooth and comfortable as possible, you’re going to want some gear beyond just the obvious diapers and baby wipes. You need to know what you need for baby’s first weeks to keep her happy, healthy, and clean.
Here, then, are some of the things you need for baby’s first weeks in the area of diapering gear:
- Diapers. This should, of course, be obvious. However, you’ve got some decisions to make. You need to decide whether you want cloth diapers or disposables. Further, if you choose cloth, you need to choose between a diaper service or washing them at home. Some parents even use solely biodegradable-type diapers. Do some research and learn about the pros and cons of each. Make sure to get enough, because you’re likely to need as many as a dozen a day during those first few weeks of your baby’s life.
- Baby wipes. Also known as “diaper wipes,” these are to clean your baby’s bottom during a changing.
- Diaper cream. You’ll want some petroleum jelly, A&D ointment, or some petroleum jelly to help soothe your baby’s skin and protect it from diaper rash.
- A way to get rid of diapers. You can just use a trash can, of course. However, today you have choices. There are even diaper disposal systems that help to mask the diapers’ odor.
- A diaper bag. This bag will carry more than diapers, of course. It will also carry materials you need for feeding, such as formula or breast pads. Make sure to include a waterproof pouch to store your keys, and a portable changing pad will come in handy often.
- A changing table. Your changing table can be as simple as a low dresser or it can be a purpose-built changing table. Regardless, make sure it’s secure, and that it’s situated within arm’s reach of everything you’re going to need to change a diaper.