By the time you’ve reached the third trimester, you’re really starting to show, your back may be aching from the extra weight, and you’re probably just about ready to get this thing over with. Don’t worry, it’ll come soon enough. Your baby is busy preparing for her grand entrance onto the world’s stage. Here’s what her world looks like during that third and final trimester while she is waiting to be born:
- Your baby will start to open her eyes around week 29. Things are still pretty dark inside of you, but she will be able to see light through your womb. This will make her blink and bat those pretty eyelashes a lot.
- By week thirty or so, your baby will go ahead and turn around so that her head is facing down, where it ideally should be for her grand appearance. She’ll be kicking hard, and at 4 pounds, her kicks will start to pack a bit more wallop.
- By week thirty two, baby is sucking in all the amniotic fluid she can handle, to the tune of about a gallon every day. This fluid helps her build antibodies which she will need in the world outside.
- By week thirty four, your baby will develop little toenails. He’ll spend the rest of his life clipping them.
- The next week, week thirty five, your baby may decide to give you a bit of a scare, sending you false contractions.
- By week thirty six, your baby has reached the weight she will be born at, more or less. By now she’s a full 6-8 pounds or more, and is just raring to get out. In many cases, she will lose her hair during this period and will actually swallow it. Believe it or not, this will be a big part of her first little poop after she is born.
- During the third trimester, baby has nearly tripled in her weight, and developed all of the senses that she will have when she is born. She’ll still be fairly near sighted, but she can hear quite well, and has a sense of taste and touch that’s fairly well developed. At any time after week thirty eight, she could make her debut. We just hope you’re ready for her.